Monday, March 22, 2010

Stromboli is an island in Italy

Tonight I tried another great recipe that I tweaked a bit from my new recipe-photo book, Frame by Frame Baking, recipes by Christine France and photography by Mike Cooper.  Since the whole book is on baking and creating doughs of all kinds, I was aware of the time truly needed to bake and create the bread.  Unfortunately I didn't have the patience and/or time.  Instead of making the dough, I ended up buying Wegman's refrigerated pizza dough instead.  Honestly, I had to because well, it was a Monday evening and let's all be realistic about how "Martha Stewart" we can all really be on a Monday evening.  (I'll save my baking-capades for weekends...) 

I also tweaked the filling too.  Along with the simple ingredients of mozzarella, basil, roasted red peppers and a kind of Italian meat, I added sun-dried tomatoes, spinach and for a spicy kick, red pepper infused tomato sauce for dipping. 

I suppose I can now become a person that "swears" by a food because my stromboli was amazing!  The basil (which is home-windowsill-grown) infused the whole pocket with its clean and lemony taste.  The mix of the sweet roasted red pepper and salty prosciutto paired very well. The spinach and mozzarella were a modest and humble binding holding it all together and of course, the added spicy red pepper tomato sauce gave my stromboli that extra kick.

Results felt by others?

Positive responses and smiles...yet again.  Bon Appétit!
The recipe

Fresh Basil

Store bought pizza dough

Sweet red peppers

I dusted and rolled out the pizza dough

Along with the other ingredients shown, I added sun-dried tomatoes, prosciutto, mozzarella cheese and spinach

Left over flour from the board

Before baking, I had to pierce the dough and brush it with olive oil.

Finished!
Close-up

Everyone loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment