Monday, April 12, 2010

Growing pains

When I was younger, perhaps thirteen or fourteen, I had the chance to tend to my family's small outside garden all summer long.  I'm not sure why or how I started and perhaps it was as simple as a boring day with nothing to do and a small garden overgrown with weeds.  But I remember standing out in the sun and turning the dirt with a rake to let air down in the soil.  I remember hauling links of hoses from the house to the garden and watering the plants diligently every few days or so.  And I remember the feeling of success and pride over my summer yield, rough hands and dark summer tan.

And all the great weather so far this year, has awoken my summer desires of cotton sun dresses, barbecuing and of course, dreams of growing a humble vegetable garden yet again.  This year I actually started to grow some herbs in pots on my windowsill and have successfully kept some sweet basil, parsley and oregano alive! 

Notice my wording.  "-successfully, kept alive".  Yes, you can assume that I don't necessarily have the greenest of thumbs.  Even when I did tend to my family's garden, I couldn't have done it without the help of my late grandfather.  [He was an amazing farmer and gardener]  I'm not sure why, but when it comes to indoor growing, I just can't seem to keep plants alive.  Chia Pets, air filtering ferns and two Bonsai trees have all fallen victim to my unlucky hands.  I'm now lucky enough to keep an African violet alive, even though I've heard that they are the easiest of all house plants to do so.

The BF and I are moving into the city come June and I have hopes of planting a few vegetables [in pots, since I don't really have sprawling yards of land] in my itty-bitty space of a backyard.  And as silly as it is to say, I can't wait!  I'm sure Thom must think that I'm crazy because now I'll be able to not only successfully kill plants inside a house, but outside as well!  All joking aside, I would really like that opportunity to again feel the pride and satisfaction in watching something that I had tended grow and thrive. 
 
Yesterday, we visited a local greenhouse and farmer's market, Gro-Moore Farms on East Henrietta and Caukins Rd.  It was nice to be able to walk into a green house full of blooming flowers and just see the different varieties of plants that were already available to purchase.  I thought it was clever of the farm to create their labels on most of the pots sold.
 
Though most of the business is a greenhouse with many different kinds of plants, shrubs and trees available year round, there is also a country store attached to the main greenhouse.  Home made jams and preserves are sold, along with hand crafted decor that any dear mother would want to add to her country home.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment