Tuesday, November 8, 2011

A marriage of craft and imagery





The biggest and most revealing answer as to why I have not been blogging...is because I've been sewing!  Sewing, sewing and more sewing.

Recently, I combined my love of sewing and photography together to create unique pieces of art/clothing/accessories.  I used Liquid Emulsion to light sensitize the fabric and expose an image on top in the darkroom.  Afterward, I processed the fabric like photographic paper, waited for it to dry and then pieced and sewed together the rest.

My first attempt was with a completely sewn shirt (shown at the beginning of this post).  I painted liquid emulsion directly on the front of the shirt and exposed it in the darkroom.  My second attempt was with a dress.  Keeping the bodice and skirt pieces separate, I put liquid emulsion on each piece before sewing together.  Similarly, I created a simple hand tote working the images on separate fabric pieces before joining them together.

I am drawn to and amazed by the idea of imagery and textile.  I hope to create a few more pieces to come.  Unfortunately, liquid emulsion is not a lasting image-making medium and it easily comes apart when the clothing is washed.  My hopes are to move into Cyanotype and create these pieces once again but with a steadfast and lasting outcome.

2 comments:

  1. I am experimenting with liquid light on fabric. I was wondering if you could give me some pointers. It looks like you got some great results! If you wouldn't mine sharing some tips, you can email me at batsonc244@strose.edu

    ReplyDelete