Monday, January 7, 2013

The year long (48 hr) sewing project



 Almost one year ago I had started a sewing project with enticing hints of what to come and then proceeded to never mention it again in the year 2012...

Perhaps it was my forgetfulness, lack of time or inspiration, but I began that small quilting project in hopes that it would turn into a much needed sewing machine cover.  I was also on a recycling kick then and I really wanted to use up a lot of leftover fabric just sitting around my apartment.  I found a simple enough pattern from my Fresh Quilting Book by Malka Dubrawsky and began piecing.  I got as far as putting together the entire front piece before I packed it up and moved out of my first SF apartment, began school, new projects, etc, etc until I ultimately realized that nearly a year had passed without much progress.

So, this morning, I finished it!  As my post title reads, technically this project took me one year to complete, but the total amount of active hours sewing was probably around 48 hours.  It really was a simple project to do and I only spent about 4 hours today finishing up where I had left off!



 After piecing, I was able to cut out a piece of sturdy cardboard to place as the top structure of the cover.  I slipped the cardboard under the front piece and quilted around it.  After quilting, I cut all for sides even and sewed on the binding, making sure to add four ties on the sides to keep the cover snug on my machine.







I'm really happy with the results and I'm a bit embarrassed that I didn't get to this sooner.  But now I have a cute and efficient dust cover for my sewing machine!

You can find this project from Malka's book:  Fresh Quilting: Fearless Color, Design, and Inspiration

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment