A while back I had posted a teaser photo on Instagram. Horray! I had started a new project! Typically when I do so, it usually takes me a few weeks to complete.
Not this time around! I suppose I still have the "new year" attitude to just get stuff done.
So I found this lovely post on Design*Sponge and was instantly inspired to create my own wood and leather organizer. In my project, I went a step further than their DIY. I decided to add a few coats of clear glossy Polyurethane to my base board and then hang it on my wall.
Read below for my steps. Click here for the original Design*Sponge post.
To begin with, the whole reason I even began this DIY was because I had most of the materials lying around my studio and house. An extra random Ikea board? Check. Salvaged leather scraps? Check. Finish, miscellaneous tools and a hanging kit? Check, check, and check. I suppose that the only two things that I purchased were based off of wants rather than necessities. ( I really liked the look of the brassy escutcheon pins and again, I wanted a glossy finish to my base board. I have a few cans of semi-gloss in my garage and I knew that regular nails would work just as well. But design aesthetics prevail and together, the pins and stain cost me around $10)
So again, materials you will need:
- Wood plank (Mine measured 7.25"x31")
- Brass nails/Escutcheon pins
- Fine grit sandpaper (I used 220 grit)
- Clear Gloss Polyurethane (I used Clear gloss fast-drying Minwax Polyurethane)
- Cheap 2" brush
- Paper towels
- Heavy duty scissors/Utility Knife
The first thing I did was to prep my materials. I cut out the pockets from the leather and lightly sanded the wood for the finish. I measured out three different sizes for my leather pockets:
This last step was of my own preference. I knew that I wanted to hang this on the wall in my kitchen. You don't have to hand this piece but just leave it at that. The Design*Sponge DIY shows their organizer leaning up again a wall or counter.
So in my case, I ended up pre-drilling some small holes for wiring and added some foam bumpers on the lower portion of the board.