Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A Pretty Exterior

Occasionally I like to revisit photographers that I admire and look through their past works.  Steven Klein has been on the brain recently probably because of his great success transitioning over to film and showing casing his best in Lady Gaga's Alejandro Video. 

After visiting his site for a while, I found one of my favorite photo stories he created on Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt.  During the filming of Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Klein, Jolie and Pitt collaborated on an early '60s themed perfect family.  The photographs mirror the era when 1960s disillusionment was boiling under the facade of pristine 1950s suburbia.  When you view the photos, it's almost a guilty pleasure peeking in on your neighbor's life behind the pretty exterior.  It also doesn't help that every piece of clothing and jewelry that Jolie and Pitt are wearing are high end designer as well.

Perhaps I am so drawn to the photo portfolio since it holds similiar tones to my own personal portfolio on Isolation: The Life of a Housewife.  I'm drawn to the images because they hold a mood and tension that tell such a complex story far greater than the one still frame.







 
Original Photo Story by W Magazine found here.
Photography by Steven Klein

No comments:

Post a Comment