Sunday, September 12, 2010

Whoops! I made a dress instead...

So a week ago or so, I posted on how I recently bought my new sewing machine.  I had mentioned that I was taking sewing baby steps and after creating some cutesy simple craft projects for my nephew, I was going to move onto clothing, specifically, a skirt.

Well, I can say that those were my intentions.  But after getting caught up with Burda Style and their awesome website for sewing noobs like me, I ended up printing out the directions for a skirt and a pattern for a dress!  Whoops.

That was about a week ago and was not such a great starting off point for my journey in sewing.  Being up past midnight trying to sew probably didn't help either. And shamefully, it probably took me a good hour to figure out my pattern/direction mishap. Fuzzy-headed and with a crazed look in my eyes, I was starting to think that maybe I wasn't cut out for this "Sewing thing" until I put the pieces [literally] together and realized that they were starting to look more like a dress rather than a skirt!  Well when life gives you lemons...

So I ended up making a dress out of a skirt-kind of material.  Now that I'm finished with it, I found it a fortunate mistake.  The dress itself is supposed to be a light, summery sundress.  But the material I had chosen was a bit stiff, thick and a very neutral gray...not very light and summery if I must say.  In the end, the dress looks more formal which is perfect for the wedding that Thom and I are attending at the end of September!  I ended up altering the look of the top strap of the dress, shortening the hem a bit and sewing in the cups of an old bra for support.

I am definitely happy with the outcome and can't wait to wear it out!  Yesterday, I went back to buy some more fabric and this time, with the proper intent of creating that light and airy sundress.  This time I purchased a caramel-tan colored cotton blend with a burgundy floral print on it, perfect for that nice fall layered look.

Today, I'm going to try to make some homemade granola and later homemade tomato sauce, part II [Explanation on that later].  More on that to come.  Today definitely is called "Ambitious Sunday".

No comments:

Post a Comment