Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Colorful Creations

Two projects just completed for the apartment.  A knitted throw and some accent pillow covers for the couch.  Both so simple and ordinary at first thought but then one comes to find that they were all handmade.  By me.  In total, costing me less than $50.00 or so.  Did I mention the handmade part?

I might just take this moment to feel some DIY/crafty-ness pride...

Aside from my over zealous attitude over a throw and some pillow covers, here's a little background info.

The knitted throw was of my own design after learning how to do the cable knit stitch.  Two cords running on each side in both the green and purple colored yarn and one cord in the center of the yellow.  The yarn is Lion Brand, Wool-Ease Thick & Quick Yarn.  I used size 39mm needles.  And what started as a boring day with something to do, turned into a full on knitted throw project.  Unfortunately for me, knitting isn't what it's like in New York (with such lovely stores like Purl) and I had to order most of it online.  If you're still interested in the pattern, feel free to email me and I'll send you my formula. 

The pillow covers though are of great pride for me.  The main reason is because of those gosh-darn-dang zippers!  I hate zippers.  Let me rephrase that, I hate sewing on zippers.  I always screw them up and have this awkward stitch that doesn't match right.  This past week, I found out that I was doing it all wrong and using the zipper foot incorrectly.  I now like zippers.  (Or at least sewing them on!)  The pillow inserts were just some cheap buys at Ikea.

I followed a very simple and straightforward tutorial online from house on hill road.  (Specific pillow zipper tutorial link here)  It was so easy that I ended up buying another crap pillow at a department store and sewing together another cover in half an hour.  I love how clean and professional they look with the little zipper cover on the top side.  The fabric was purchased online as well, a gift from my sister really.  So thanks Kate.

San Francisco does do fabric unlike yarns.  The other day, I just about died and went to sewing heaven when I stumbled upon Britex Fabrics on Geary St by Union Square.  Oh.  Mi.  Gawd.  There were FOUR floors filled with unbelievable designer and high end fabrics.  One floor was for notions alone!  I couldn't believe it.  With my new pillow cover tutorial under my belt, I might just go broke buying all the luxurious and coveted Japanese and Swedish prints they've got there.  Love.  Love.  Love.

Conclusion?  I'm happy to know that I thought of some ideas, taught myself how to execute them and revealed some finished products.  They show my taste and style.  I'm creating my personality in a tactile form.  It's kinda cool.




No comments:

Post a Comment