Friday, May 13, 2011

Friday Catch-up





 For some inconvenient reason, Blogger was down yesterday so I wasn't able to post a few things that have been going on lately.  This week is the last before finals.  Things are a bit hectic but very productive.  I added a few new pillow covers to our couch and Connor and I have been enjoying all the sunshine that we've been having lately.  Thom and I added another decal to our great room.  It's large and insanely detailed.  I keep telling Thom that he'll have to duke that one out when it comes to moving and removing.  But for now we're enjoying the view.





 Another thing that I just received today was my very first Le Creuset cast iron!  Thank you so much to Thom's mum, Sue, who found an amazing deal and sent one out to me.  It's amazing and I cannot wait to begin cooking, baking, sauteing, etc, etc etc.  I will have to try this recipe...so easy, I guess a four year old can make it.




Speaking about cooking and baking, etc, etc, I've finally perfected a waffle iron recipe that I can make and freeze over and over again with satiating results.  To back this all up, let me say that I am a breakfast person.  I could never skip it and will wake up early, just to include it in my day.  And sorry to say, cereal just doesn't cut it.  The only thing that ever keeps me full until lunchtime are pancakes and waffles.  (I love carbs!)  Yet, I've always known that eating waffles everyday could induce me in a carb-coma since I can [shamefully] eat a full set of the four waffles and then some.  This recipe is half whole wheat flour and half regular.   So it fills me on only two waffles, making room for a yogurt or piece of fruit.  I also add vanilla extract and cinnamon for a more sweet and dessert like taste to them, a tip from my old college roommate.  The key to a perfect waffle is in the way you beat the eggs and how long you leave the batter in the iron.  Below is my recipe, adapted from Allrecipes.com.

Waffle recipe for waffle iron:
(Double batch measurements)

-2 C. Regular Flour
-2 C. Whole Wheat Flour
-1/2 tsp. Salt
-8 tsp. Baking Powder
-3 Tbsp. White Sugar (or opt for brown sugar)
-2 tsp. Cinnamon
-4 Eggs
-3 1/2 C. Milk
-1 C. Oil
-1 tsp. Vanilla Extract

1.  Preheat the waffle iron and spray each waffle plate generously with non-stick spray.
2.  Add all dry ingredients in a large bowl.  Whisk together until well mixed.
3.  Crack the eggs and beat them until well frothy.  Pour into the bowl of dry ingredients and add the rest of the wet ingredients to the bowl.  
4.  Mix until all ingredients are combined.  Lumps are normal in the batter.  Do not overmix.
5.  Add the batter by the half cup onto the pre-heated waffle iron until batter is spread evenly.
6.  Cook each waffle for 4 minutes.
7.  Use a fork to remove the waffle, eat and enjoy!


Like I said, a very eventful week.  I hope yours went well too and that you all have exciting plans for this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment