On Tuesday, I posted the beginnings of my T-Shirt dress and my desire to take something unwearable and make it into something that I would use and wear time and time again. Today I ended up finished the last few steps of my dress and came to a very satisfactory and surprising conclusion. This was by far an amateur take on transforming clothing using improvisational sewing but I'm glad that I got to experience the process. I definitely have learned a lot from any mistakes along the way but ultimately I have some newly founded confidence and knowledge for any future improvisational sewing I might do.
To refresh any memories of where I left off, I had just finished making straps for the dress out of extra material that I had cut away previously. My ultimate mission in this project was to try and reuse as much material of the original shirt as I possibly could. With that said, I also left off with the challenge of re-incorporating the cut off sleeves back into the project...
tutorial on how to add inseam pockets to your sewing projects and so I added pockets to my dress using their guide.
-Always try and re-incorporate any fabric you might cut away.
-Sleeves make great pockets. :-)
-Measure the length of your body before cutting. I wish I had thought a bit more on that. The length is a bit short and instead of being a dress I would wear daily, I now have dubbed it a beach cover up, perfect with shorts or capris. It's definitely still a win-win for me!
My first project without a pattern! Not too shabby. :-D