Tuesday, September 6, 2011

New month, new project

I know that it's already September 6th, but I still consider it the beginning of a brand new month.  And with that, I've begun a new project.  A friend of mine had asked if I could make her a quilt out of all her running shirts.  I accepted.  She sent me a box.  There were nearly forty shirts!  I'm still very impressed by that number.  She still is running.

With her great accomplishments, I felt that I could help bring together all of hers in a nice arranged grid-like quilt.  I purchased some cheap plexiglass at a Home Depot and had Thom cut it down with a razor blade to my specific dimensions of 10 5/8 by 8 5/8.  This is the easiest and cheapest way that I've found for creating templates of any needed size.  Some Home Depot Stores even have their own cutting station, rather than going home and attempting to use a razor blade.  (I always fail at that.)  That way you get nice even and super straight edges everytime.

With my new template, I set out to marking and cutting out all the pieces for the quilt.  Some of the designs were bigger than my template, but I feel confident that once the pieces are all laid out, the individual pieces will blend into one big piece.

More progress coming soon!

UPDATE:  Read more of this quilt's progress.

T-Shirt Quilt:  Part II, Before the Cut
 T-Shirt Quilt:  Part III
T-Shirt Quilt:  Part IV and updates
T-Shirt Quilt:  Part V
Quilting and Binding:  Part VI
Beginning, Ending, Starting, Losing

No comments:

Post a Comment