After basting the quilt together, I was ready to begin quilting. I kept a 1/2" border inside the t-shirt and quilted each block. Working with a large piece like this involved me having to roll the piece underneath the sewing arm constantly. It is definitely a tedious task and it took me over the course of three days to finish quilting.
But it was worth seeing the end result and I'm satisfied to know that I had accomplished quilting such a large piece with my little Brother machine! Once I had finished quilting each block, I trimmed the outer edges and snipped away any loose threads.
Next I needed to address the top of the quilt. K had asked me to include a way to hang the piece on her wall at home. After much thought and online research, I came to the conclusion of adding loops to the top of the piece for her to easily slip a curtain rod through.
I then sewed a 1/4" seam on the open end.
And ta-da! An instant hanging loop!
I then spaced out the loops to the backside of the quilt and pinned them in place.
Next I turned the quilt over to the front and began sewing the binding on. You can find a detailed tutorial on how to make biased tape here.
Now that the binding has been sewed all the way in the round from the front, I can now begin to hand-sew the back of the binding onto the quilt.
I will try and stay diligent on the binding but as many quilters know, this is the most impatient and time consuming part of making the quilt! I hope you can all bare with me as I finish this last step of the whole process. All most there!
Update: Check out more this quilt's progress!
Before this post:New month, new project
T-Shirt Quilt: Part II, Before the Cut
T-Shirt Quilt: Part III
T-Shirt Quilt: Part IV and updates
T-Shirt Quilt: Part V
After this post:
Beginning, Ending, Starting, Losing