Thursday, January 12, 2012

Quilting and Binding: Part VI

 

After basting the quilt together, I was ready to begin quilting.  I kept a 1/2" border inside the t-shirt and quilted each block.  Working with a large piece like this involved me having to roll the piece underneath the sewing arm constantly.  It is definitely a tedious task and it took me over the course of three days to finish quilting.

But it was worth seeing the end result and I'm satisfied to know that I had accomplished quilting such a large piece with my little Brother machine!  Once I had finished quilting each block, I trimmed the outer edges and snipped away any loose threads.


Next I needed to address the top of the quilt.  K had asked me to include a way to hang the piece on her wall at home.  After much thought and online research, I came to the conclusion of adding loops to the top of the piece for her to easily slip a curtain rod through.
 To begin with, I cut out eleven 4"x12" rectangles in the bordering fabric.


 Next I ironed each rectangle in half, right sides together.


I then sewed a 1/4" seam on the open end.

Using a large knitting needle, I turned the loop inside out.


And ta-da!  An instant hanging loop!

I then spaced out the loops to the backside of the quilt and pinned them in place.

Next I turned the quilt over to the front and began sewing the binding on.  You can find a detailed tutorial on how to make biased tape here.

Now that the binding has been sewed all the way in the round from the front, I can now begin to hand-sew the back of the binding onto the quilt. 

I will try and stay diligent on the binding but as many quilters know, this is the most impatient and time consuming part of making the quilt!  I hope you can all bare with me as I finish this last step of the whole process.  All most there!

Update:  Check out more this quilt's progress!
Before this post:
New month, new project
T-Shirt Quilt:  Part II, Before the Cut
T-Shirt Quilt:  Part III
T-Shirt Quilt:  Part IV and updates
T-Shirt Quilt:  Part V

After this post:
Beginning, Ending, Starting, Losing

No comments:

Post a Comment