Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Self-Portrait


The self-portrait usually gets a bad rep. Words like vain, egotistic and narcissism can be related.  And I would have to say that about 1/3 of my photography are self-portraits!  Yikes.

But the true definition of the self-portrait is the representation of the artist.  A representation.  There is so much creative freedom in that one word.  And there lies the complete appeal of the self-portrait.  When I was younger and used to play dolls with my sister, we would always begin a barbie story with, "Imagine that...".  The same goes with my self-portraits.  I will always imagine different scenarios and ideas that my character is going through.  It's fun and usually a good way to express my feelings and ideas.  And something so personal can only hold a deeper respect and meaning for the photographer and hopefully the viewer.
"Um, excuse me, I'm trying to take a self-portrait???"
"Really now, you're being quite rude."
"Don't be sad, we can share."
"See, this is nice."
Dress:  Plato's Closet
Tights:  Target
Cardigan:  J. Crew Outlet
Necklaces:  Thrift Store and Plato's Closet


No comments:

Post a Comment